Friday, March 19, 2010

There is Light at the end of the Tunnel.

For the last three months we have been dealing with a whole lot of sickness in this house. Nothing major, but enough to keep us all up and worried/stressed at times.  ( sorry this is a little long…)

Logan has had this croupy cough since mid December early January, we really didn’t think to much of it but then his lymph nodes started to get big and we could feel more and more. With everything we have gone through with Wes we didn’t want to mess around so I made him an appointment. I figured they were just big because he had been somewhat sick but Wes wanted to make sure that was all it was. Sure enough the doc wasn’t worried about it at all. Said it was very normal and not to worry, but that he did have a pretty bad ear infection in both ears and also a sinus infection which was causing this cough. What!?! He has shown NO signs of any problems with his ear let alone TWO! Okay, no problem, we have an ear infection, we will take the meds and be done with it… Yea Right! He seemed to get better with the meds but the day we stopped the antibiotics he got worse. He had his two year check up coming so I figured I would just wait until then. The last two weeks in January I don’t think we slept in this house. He was up all night coughing and hacking and puking because he would cough so hard. At his apt. the doc said that his ears were not any better nor was the sinus infection. So round TWO of meds here we come, she also gave me some cough syrup to help us sleep. That was a joke trying to get him to take. If I could get it down him, he would make himself vomit so it would come right back up… ugh. To speed along this story let’s just say we did three round of antibiotics and nothing was getting better, plus we got pink eye on top of all of this.  When we saw his normal pediatrician the last time she said his ears were just full of fluid and nothing was releasing, but in order to get tubes put in his ears we had to wait another month ( this was the beginning of March). I told her I really didn’t want to try anymore antibiotics so she gave us some nose spray and some stuff that is stronger than Claritin over the counter but that we could also try this doctor that many people have had good results with. I was willing to try anything so I said sure.  Of course I looked her up when we got home and I was so pleased with what I found. She is a pediatrician but also a D.O. If you have never heard of a DO this is a definition I found that fits pretty well: The DO is trained to evaluate the person in a holistic way. The goal of the DO is not simply to treat problems as they arise, but as well to prevent problems by evaluating the total health and health risks of the person. This evaluation may include not only looking at quantifiable risk factors for disease but also evaluation of the person in terms of their home life, their stress level and their work life. As well, disease is evaluated in terms of how it affects the entire body, not simply a few parts of the body.

I took Logan to see her almost two weeks ago. We went over everything and then she “manipulated” his head and back ( just like a chiropractor would do) She said that his head was super jammed into his neck and he was very crooked.  She also asked me questions like did he breastfeed? .. no, cause he wouldn’t latch on… Did he have reflux? .. Yes, severe, we were on meds for months when he was a baby. Well, come to find out, all these things we have been through were a result of his birth, his head, and his torticollis ( twisted neck from being squished inside me). I was AMAZED. It was like I was sitting there talking to someone who knew EVERYTHING we had been through for the last two years and she knew why and how to fix it!!!  Literally two days after we saw this doctor my kid was back to his normal self, could breath and he slept through the night!!!! We saw her again just this past week and his ears are also MUCH, MUCH better. We are still having to watch the left side because it is only about 80% better, but the right one is clear and this was with NO MEDICATION!!!! I cannot sit here and tell you how happy I am with this doctor. After Logan was born I knew I wanted to change our lifestyle by trying use different cleaning products, more natural ones.. but I didn’t want to be one of the “holy green people”. So I just made little changes and was happy with him. Now, that I have seen this new doctor and her method works better than jumping to first medication they can find in their book, I am making more changes.. I am going to try and get the whole family switched over to a DO doc. I know that this method is not for everyone, but the reason I like it is because they will try other things, and more natural ways of curing things before giving out meds. But if all else fails, they can still give the meds.

I guess it just is a new way for our family….. I figured, why not try new ways, new methods, and if those things don’t work, then I will go back to the old ways, but with these doctors I can do it all from the comfort of one office.

And of course, I get Logan better and on the right path and then I get sick…. never fails I tell ya!

Here are pictures of my new/old son.. He is new to us from the last three months, but the old kid I knew I always had.. And boy his energy level is UP there!!!

March2010Sons_0016March2010Sons_0020

 

 

 

 

This is him pointing his finger and telling me NO!

Ahh what a joy at times.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

March2010Sons_0026

March2010Sons_0034

And we have started the first faze of POTTY TRAINING.. He did this all on his own so we had to go out and buy BIG BOY pants.. Of course with Mickey on them. I don’t think he would wear them with anyone else on there, well beside Diego. He has done pretty well so far. I’ll keep you updated though.

March2010Sons_0056March2010Sons_0057

This picture is for Grandpa.. It reminds me of the kids you see in Colton “sagging” their pants.

March2010Sons_0058

and the last one…. self explanatory!!!!

No comments: